Heard pop sound at upper rib and hurts to breath. How long will it take to get cured?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was playing around with my stepson and I heard a pop at my upper rib on the left. Kinda hurts to breathe. How long will this take to heal.... At 47 I guess I won't do this anymore. He is 15. I know now my butt is too YYYY@YYYY , plus it is a little sore
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 minutes later
It most probably seems like a cracked your rib with hairline fracture.
Get an X XXXXXXX chest (PA view) done.
Take rest.
You can take a good cough syrup and do steam inhalations.
Hot fomentation on the pain site and application of anti inflammatory gels will also help. You can also get some muscle relaxants prescribed from your physician. With adequate rest, you should improve in 3-4 weeks.
Consult your physician regarding the same and analgesics like paracetamol and diclofenac can be taken after his advise.
Get well soon.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.