Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Heard a loud pop and pain behind the knee and down outside of calf. Which specialist should I consult?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 726 Questions
Exercised early this morning..kokofit .weights were increased to 80 pounds for squats. Two hours later had to do a little running up and then down sloped road... Then heard a loud pop and pain behind the knee and down outside of left calf...can't bear the weight except on ball of foot . Repeated ice, elevated and antiinflammatories taken. . Should I follow up with orthopod visit ? How soon...?
Synthroid not. Synthesis, and 1.75 dosage. Otherwise in good helth
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Exercise
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
I have read your query in detail. You have not written anything whether your pain reduces after elevation and ice fermentation or not? Does swelling increasing or decreasing? Severity of pain?
You have done a right thing by elevation of the part and taking anti-inflammatory drug with cold fermentation.
Now about the condition in which you must need an orthopaedic consultation or you need to go to emergency are:
1. If swelling and severity of the pain increasing or same after 5-6 hours of injury or if it continues for more than 3 days after following all precautions.
2. If you feel any deformity or fever or any discolouration of the part or toes nails?
3. If not able to wear a little weight on leg and pain increasing even in slight movement of the limb.

As you are post menopausal women of 56 and slightly overweight, you have more chances of osteoporosis of bone and even a slight injury is to taken seriously. If you found any of the above said conditions than immediately consult your orthopaedic doctor and get your X-ray done.
Till than keep your part elevated and immobilized so that injury may not increases.
Hope you got your answer. Write back if you have any further query. I will be happy to answer them.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor