Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Headache, right side of head, behind the ear, irritating, dizziness

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
My age is 25. I'm a Software Engineer. I've been suffering from acute irritating pain in the right side of head and to the back of the ear. I've been feeling it now and then but almost daily for more than a month. No fever for the past 2 years.
But five months ago, I faced dizziness (and no fever) daily, for about two weeks, not only at work place but also while at home and not in work. I faced it even just after waking up in the morning. Then I consulted a General Physician, and he said that it could be due to an infection, prescribed some pills for a week. The problem settled down after taking them.
But now, even without doing much work, I'm feeling the acute pain as said above.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

The two symptoms that you are having are pain on right side of head behind the ear and dizziness might be interlinked and the two important causes which can cause both these symptoms is inner/ middle ear infections and mastoiditis.

Labyrinthitis is an inflammation of the inner ear and mastoiditis is an inflammation or infection of the mastoid bone, that sits behind the ear. Both of these can cause dizziness, vertigo and pain behind the ear. In addition there can be ear discharge as well. You need to get an ENT examination and examination of the ear as well as CT scan of the area to confirm the diagnosis.

Apart from these two causes, two more causes although less likely which should be evaluated are of TMJ (temporal arteritis (although your age is defying this possibility). You should get an examination done from an ENT specialist to check out these conditions and confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor