Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Headache on one side, left eye pain, face numbness

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2551 Questions
hi im 33 years olf female.lately i am having headache on one side the left side and when i press the muscle on my neck it i woke up with pain behind the left eye that comes and goes now i have numbness on my face
Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 43 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

As your history is incomplete, I would like to know a few more things which will help me in suggesting you better:
1.Do you have any XXXXXXX before the headache?
2.Is it a throbbing headache or a dull pain?
3.Does it have any trigger or time zone?
4.Do you have any eye symptoms such as watering, redness or photophobia or dislike of strong light?
5.Did you suffer with any head injury in the recent past?
6.May I know your blood pressure readings?
7.Do you have any history of use of oral contraceptives or medical abortions?
8.Do you consume excessive caffeine in form of coffee or any medications?
9.Do you suffer from acidity or gastric reflux?
10.Do you suffer from any other diagnosed medical conditions?

A headache that is relieved by neck massage is usually a tension headache. One sided headache and pain behind the eye is suggestive of migraine, migraine-variant or cluster headaches.

Sinus related pain will usually increase on bending forwards. Sphenoid sinusitis and local eye conditions may cause pain behind the eye.

Numbness of the face could be due to involvement of the Trigeminal (Fifth Cranial Nerve) like Trigeminal neuralgia or Temporal arteritis. Another important point is that neuralgias and migraine do not respond to usual painkilers and requires different group of drugs.

This mix of symptoms makes it difficult to pinpoint the cause without detailed history, examination and investigations. It would be better to see a neurologist and an ENT specialist. Blood tests should include a hemogram, ESR, c-reactive protein, liver function tests, homocyteine levels and urine analysis. Detailed investigations such as EEG, 3 Tesla MRI can wait.

Please reply to the above questions as this will help me in suggesting you better.

Anticipating your reply,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor