Headache, fever, chills, nausea, low energy, hurts when bending. Any ideas?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Throbbing headacheIm 31 year old woman with a low fever for three days, throbbing headache through out the day, chills, and nausea. All I want to do is lay in bed. I have no enegry and just want to sleep. At night, my headache is throbbing and pressure. I notice it hurts more when I bend. An idea would be great.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Throbbing headache as you describe which changes with changes in posture is characteristic of acute and chronic sinusitis, which offcourse, you do not present with any signs and symptoms of rhinitis or blockage of nasal passages.
Headache accompanied by fever, especially of acute onset suggests that there is certainly an infection, most probably bacterial.
Blood tests, blood culture, complete blood count and markers of inflammation, acute phase reactants like the CrP shall be very important in evaluating your clinical state, identifying the causative organism, treating and monitoring effectiveness of treatment.
For now, you could take analgesics and Acetaminophen to reduce the pain and fever, as you move to the proper physical examination and paraclinical examinations. primary headaches like migraines, tension headaches or cluster headaches could be implicated in this case, but are not usually accompanied by fever.
Rare causes of headaches at times might warrant a CT scan. I suggest you go fast to your physician for proper evaluation and management.
thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.