Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Headache, dizziness, body ache. Diagnosed with typhoid, malaria, TB. Suggest medication

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
my father has been sick for long time and some local doctors said he has Typhoid, malaria and TB. he chronic body itching, headache, dizzines, continuous ache. what type of medication to buy for him and can buy them at any pharmacy?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Your fathers symptoms are not very suggestive of typhoid or malaria which are infections which present mainly as persistent pain and gastrointestinal symptoms .Tuberculosis on the other hand is a chronic infection and can have varying presentations depending on the organ involved like headaches , dizziness etc in neurological tuberculosis .
The treatment for all three are different and is as follows ,
1. Typhoid : antibiotics like Ofloxacin , cefpodoxime or azithromycin usually as a course of 10-14 days.
2. Malaria : antimalarials like Chloroquine or Artemether etc usually for a course of 3-5 days .
3. Tuberculosis : the treatment consists of multi drug combinations known as anti Kochs treatment ( AKT ) for a course of 6-9 months ( daily and long treatment however curable ).
But if a person has multiple infections like these it's very likely that the person is either having immunodeficiency or the diagnosis is not confirmed.
At present it's not advisable to start medicines for all the three infections without confirming the diagnosis . Once it's confirmed the medicines are available at pharmacy but as per doctors prescription .
If the local doctors have carried out any tests kindly upload the reports so that I can advise you accordingly . If not then its best to ask your father to get evaluated by a Infectious disease specialist or a XXXXXXX medicine specialist physician to confirm the diagnosis and start treatment accordingly .
Hope I have answered your query.
Please let me know if you have any further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor