Headache and stuffy nose with mild weakness. Flu or allergy symptoms?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: flu or allergy slightly in left nasal passage drainage in throat headache in frontal lobe stuffy nose very mild weakness persistent for 2 days
bleeding in left nasal passage
we have chickens
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Hi

Thanks for the query

According to the description, you seem to be suffering from acute sinusitis. Sinuses are the empty cavities in the skull to protect the brain. The acute infection and the inflammation of the sinuses are termed as acute sinusitis.

Following an attack of common cold, there will be nasal congestion, because of which there is blockage of the sinus opening leading to stagnation of the secretions inside the sinuses and increased viscosity of the sinus secretions. Stagnation of these secretions gives rise to headache and nasal infection. Once the infection sets in, the secretions which drain into the throat from behind the nose will induce cough and throat pain.

I would suggest you the following for the treatment of sinusitis:

1. Drink plenty of warm water to keep the nose and the throat hydrated.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 2-3 times a day, which helps in reducing the nasal congestion, clearing of the mucus and reducing the cough.
3. Avoid coffee and chilled beverages.
4. A course of good antibiotic (such as a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime).
5. A mucolytic (such as ambroxol or bromhexine) to reduce the viscosity of the mucus and control cough.
6. An anti-inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen or diclofenac for headache, throat pain and body ache.
7. Paracetamol to be taken 3-4 times a day when there is fever.

If your condition does not improve with the above measures, please consult your doctor for a thorough evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon