Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Head slammed on table. Sore bump appeared. Should I consult a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
I sat up in bed to switch positions and came down really hard, slamming my head on my end table, instead of my pillow (in the middle of the night). It was about 1/2 inch above my temple on the side of the front of my head. It is still very sore @ 36 hours later.
I want to make sure there is nothing bad going on -- on the inside...
I'm wondering if I should see a doctor?
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 23 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Generally head trauma is very hard to be verified without head CT. Usually, if there were no lost of consciousness, we assume that the trauma was not strong enough to cause brain injury. However, some of head traumas without lost of consciousness can still cause vessel rupture inside the head.
Moreover, some brain bleedings, if not strong can stay silent for some time and can give no symptoms. You have hit your head on the temple which is the thinnest area of the skull.
Symptoms which are neglecting after head trauma are: headache, nausea, vomiting, blurred vision, dizziness, weakness, sleepiness.
I suggest you to visit your doctor and have at least neurological examination. Its too risky to wait with it.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Critical Care

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor