Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Head injury, dilated eyes. Visit pediatrician?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
My five year old hit the back of his head on our headboard. He did not lose consciousness. He did not vomit. His eyes contract when I shined a small flashlight briefly but they do look very slightly dilated. Do we need to go to the e.r.? He is asleep now and I was going to check on him in an hour to see if he wakes up ok, and if his eyes look good and dilate okay. Should I just do this and take him to his pediatrician tomorrow morning?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Radhika 40 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

I have gone through your query, I suggest you check his pupils after a few minutes and if they are in still a state of constant dilatation then you need to go to an E.R.

Otherwise it seems to me he is perfectly alright,there is no loss of consciousness and he did not vomit. When you hold a torch to the eyes it will be dilated and then briefly contract, there is no need to worry. But you should take him to the pediatrician tomorrow morning.

Just apply cold ice pack to the area.

Hope my answer is adequate and informative. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Critical Care

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor