Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Head injury. Used ice and ibuprofen for the pain. Getting headache. Took celexa. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10639 Questions
I hit my temple on the corner of a chair around Christmas. At the time I hit it, it hurt quite badly & I used ice & ibuprofen for the pain. It continued to hurt and feel tender to the touch for a few days afterwards. I also felt like I had a sensation of some fluid in my ear on the same side as the injury (no fluid every leaked out of the ear, but rather it was the sensation of when you get a bit of water in your ear when your swimming, etc.). Fast forward to last week. I started having pretty serious headaches that I attributed to a virus or something like that. The headache has persisted and I continue to have a mild sensation in the temple area. Could thse current symptoms be from the temple injury at Christmas? On a side, I started taking Celexa on this past Saturday, as prescribed by my Ob/Gyn for PPMD. I understand that one of the side effects of that is headaches, but the headaches did start last week prior to the start of Celexa.
Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Since your headache started prior to starting Celexa, it is likely to be related to the injury you had near Christmas.
This is a warning symptom and indicates that the injury is not mild and external in nature as such injuries can also be XXXXXXX

In such a case, it is always better to get a physical examination and a CT/ MRI head done to rule out any subdural hemorrhage.

Symptoms of subdural hemorrhage have a slower onset than those of epidural hemorrhages because the lower pressure veins bleed more slowly than arteries. Thus signs and symptoms may show up within 24 hours but can be delayed as much as 2 weeks.

Kindly consider visiting a Physician or a neurologist earliest for clinical examination and required investigations.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Critical Care

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor