Head congestion for 4 days, watery runny nose, headache, cough

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Sun, 6 Jan 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Head congestion for 4 days, watery runny nose, headache, cough with back pain and side pain when coughing. Was put on azithromycin tablets 4 days ago, started afrin yesterday because of nose congestion. Not getting better, no fever. no mucous coming out just water... Cold or sinusitis?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More likely to be cold or allergic rhinitis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
Since your Nasal discharge is watery and not thick or yellow , you are likely to have a cold or allergic rhinitis. Azithromycin would work in a bacterial infection like sinusitis but will not be of use in allergic rhinitis or cold.
You need to take an antihistamine and nasal decongestant. Both are available together as in Clarinase and can be taken twice a day. These would be helpful to give you symptomatic relief.
Afrin may be used twice a day for a few days. Frequent use can lead to rebound nasal congestion.
If you develop pain in the cheek area, fever or yellow sputum, then it is suggestive of sinusitis and you would need an antibiotic.
Do get back to me if you have further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D