Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Hbsag postive, anti hbsag negative, antihbc positive and hbe an positive. What is your opinion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
hi my wife is hbsag postive .. anti hbsag negative,,, antihbc positive,, hbe an positive,, anti hbe in middle range.. viral load of 0000iu/ml ...i am hbsag negative.. i been immunalised 11 year back.. whats the optionnow
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 31 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Please do not worry . Yes hepatits B virus can be transmitted through blood products and sexual intercourse etc so being a spouse of an body fluid exchange . However if you have been successfully vaccinated ( 3 doses ) then you are protected from the infection even if you are exposed to it .
Studies indicate that immunologic memory remains intact for at least 20 years among healthy vaccinated individuals who initiated hepatitis B vaccination >6 months of age. The vaccine confers long-term protection against clinical illness and chronic hepatitis B virus infection. Cellular immunity appears to persist even though antibody levels might become low or decline below detectable levels.
So sometimes doctors do advise blood tests( antibody titres ) in vaccinated people which if adequate does suggest optimal protection even if low , the fact that your hbsag is negative and you have been vaccinated makes it unlikely that you are at risk.

As for your wife ,it's unfortunate that she has been transmitted this infection unknowingly but it's best to get her evaluated immediately by a hepatologist/ Gastroeneterologist and start appropriate treatment including antiviral agents in the form of injections and oral tablets .
Hepatits B is a chronic infection and one can prevent its complications on liver like cirrhosis and liver cancer by continuing regular treatment and follow up.
You both can have babies but you need to consult a gynaecologist prior to conception for counselling and nowadays treatment is available in the form of vaccine and immunoglobulin which ensure that the baby can be protected from getting the infection even though it is exposed to the virus during pregnancy and delivery.
So I would advise you to avoid any stress among yourselves and have a positive outlook towards fighting this problem. With specialized medical help and appropriate treatment many people with such infection lead near normal lives .

Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Wishing you both good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor