Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Having worm under skin in pubic area. Yellowish part has a V shape. Given antibiotics. Advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 1561 Questions
I have a 30 old grandson that has some kind of worm under his skin in his pubic area . it has a yellowish part and has a v shape. He has swam in a creek area. They also look like a circle at times. He went to see the ER DR. and was given an antibiotic. These things move and I can see them. He has pulled and intact one out of his skin. The ER MD did not see it but seemed unimpressed with his c/o
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Since you have seen the worm coming out and your description of the wound suggest it may be due to some worm like round worm.

Diagnosing involves finding out which worm is causing the infection and then its management. It depends on area you recently visited, If you have the picture of the worm or can show to your doctor he can diagnose based on examination. Your grand son require physical examination, Stool and urine samples for identify if any microorganisms in the stool and urine, Blood tests to find infection in the blood. With Ultrasound scan we can see worm and affected tissue which help in diagnosis. Ask him to get done complete examination once as the worm may affect other tissue also which may give problem later.

Worm under the skin causes pain and swelling at the site of the wound. For now you can continue the antihelminthic agent like albendazole or mebendazole for the management of the worms as they act on different type of worms and other supportive measures. Don't handle the wound as you may spread the worm or its eggs to different part or you may infect it. Clean the area with soap water.
Hope I answered your question. Consult your doctor for further examination and management. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries. If you got the answer kindly close the query.

Wish you good health. Take care.
Dr. Vidya
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor