Having vertigo, on and off mild nausea and gastritis. Are they related?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: HI, I've been having vertigo and mild nausea offf and on for the past year. As a result, I have gone to the emergency room twice in which they ran my blood and gave me a ct and everything was clear. I saw a GI specialist and said that I have gastritis. I've had a normal a1c and my glucose was normal. I was seeing a I have seen an ENT and he said nothing neurological was wrong and it was a case of labrinthitis. They gave me exercises to perform everyday for a month. I was wondering if there could be a correlation between gastritis and vertigo.Also, the doctor said I have a deviated septum and that I might possibly have sleep apnea. Recently, I stopped taking Zantac and currently take aloe vera and otc antacids which seem to help the dizziness sometimes.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

A person experiencing a severe case of gastritis may experience dizziness, fainting, tachycardia and shock. I doubt you having any labyrinthitis.

Labyrinthitis is an inner ear disorders resulting from an infection that inflames the inner ear or the nerves connecting the inner ear to the brain. Recent viral illness, respiratory infection, or ear infection initiates the process. The common symptoms include vertigo, dizziness, and difficulties with vision, or hearing.

Hence, I doubt this could be related to labyrinthitis.

My suggestions to you are:
1. To drink plenty of warm water
2. Avoid coffee/alcohol/stress/chilled beverages/retiring to bed immediately after taking food.
3. Try taking medicines such as proton pump inhibitor (Esomeprazole, Pantoperazole) and prokinetic (Domperidone).
4. Try to lie down on semi-prone position and preferably on the left side.
5. There should be gap of at least 1 hour after taking your supper and retiring to bed. This is the transit time required for the gastric emptying.
6. Avoid taking OTC drugs. Consult your gastroenterologist for further management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon