Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Having vaginismus. Having pain and did not have intercourse. Tried with lubricant gel and finger insertion. Could I ask a doctor?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1279 Questions
Hello doctor I'm 27 Ur married male from Mumbai.I've married Wid woman wid whom I was in love since college.she is doctor she is having vaginismus which we came to know recently. as since marriage she is unable to carry the pain of insertion thus we had not a single act of intercourse yet which causing distress today and our relation is on the verge of divorce. we hve tried lubricant gely,finger insertion and many more but I feel she requirs counselling
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Councelling is important befor diagnosing

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX I can understand your problem. Initially most of the couples have many sexual problems like this, and the solution is not always divorce. You need to speak with your wife, she is also a doctor, definitely she will understand.
Before coming to vaginismus conclusion, your wife needs to be evaluated by an OBGY specialist, first you and your wife needs to be counseled, history regarding any possible stress factors, detail history of sexual development, her thoughts, her misconception about sex, her old experience in sex, her unconscious fears about sex has to be elicited . Later per-speculum examination(internal examination) to look for any septum or vaginal stenosis to be ruled out. Then a per-vaginal examination to be done to look for any vaginal narrowing, check for uterine size and any painful lesions in the vagina like endometriotic deposits.
Also to be evaluated by a pelvic scan and hormonal profile, to know any problem with uterus or ovaries.
If everything is normal she needs just REASSURANCE and psychological support. AS A HUSBAND YOUR ROLE WILL BE MOST VITAL PART.
If there is vaginal narrowing, surgery can be done to widen the vaginal opening. Plastic Molds are also available which are graded in nature, and your wife can slowing insert it manually.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor