Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Having vaginal itching. Having lower back pain. Tried medicated vagisil. Took bath with epsom salts. What can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 1031 Questions
My vagina has itched for about 5 years and no one has ever helped me with it. I wasnt sexually active when it started and recently my lower back has been hurting. I tried the medicated vagisil from rite aid and it made it worse. Ive tries jock itch powder, cold cream, witch XXXXXXX and vaseline. I douched with small amounts of vinegar and h2o2 in water. I bath with a little of those and epsom salts. Nothing works. Please help! The itch is unbearable and embarrassing
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 2 hours later
Thanks for consulting us.
The two most important causes of itching in this area, which are not sexually transmitted are fungal infection & bacterial vaginosis or you may be suffering from some form of allergy, parasitic infection or other itchy skin conditions called vulval dermatosis.
I XXXXXXX t think the options you have tried would have any role in improving your symptoms rather they may prove counterproductive.
I recommend you to use some general hygiene measures like clean your area with plain warm water whenever you void, not with any medicated product, powder, vaseline, vinegar, H2O2, salts etc. No douches please. No disinfectant or soaps. Always wipe from front to back. Use loos undergarments. Preferably made up of cotton & don't use any synthetic products. Try to recall if you have started using any new product during the past 5 years like hair removing cream, deodorant, powder or cream etc as these products may not suite every one.
Any associated symptoms like vaginal discharge or smell, any rash? these may give helpful clues toward diagnosis. You may write back if you any such associated problem.
Easiest way to sort this out is to visit a gynecologist as there is no substitute to a clinical examination. Doctor may make a clinical diagnosis or may advise you some tests like swab test, or may be a skin biopsy.
You don't have to loose hope. This is quite a common problem & can be easily treated in most cases. Just stop using self medication & seek professional help. Once a correct diagnosis is in hand, treatment is easy.
Wish you good health.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor