Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Having urinary tract infection. Urine culture and analysis test done. What does the report says?

Oct 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 516 Questions
Hi,im 33 years old and i have urinary tract infection since a month and i got my urine culture and analysis test done. My pus cells : 8-10/HPF ,Epithelial cells :6-8/HPF ,Culture : Klebsiella species,colony count :7500 cfuu/ml and interpretation is Significant bacteriuria. What does this mean?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have Klebeshiella (A type of bacteria) infection in urinary tract

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query at XXXXXXX

I understand your concern.

Generally urinary tract infection is diagnosed based on the urinary culture report.
But several criteria are taken in to consideration for prompt identification and management of the infection.
one simplified criteria is as follows:
A ) The most accurate method to measure pyuria is counting leukocytes ( pus cells) greater than 10 white blood cells considered abnormal.
levels of pyuria as low as 2-5 WBCs/hpf in a centrifuged specimen are important in females with appropriate symptoms
B ) as per previous guide lines significant bacteriuria is if colony count more than 10,000 but symptomatic infections, the lower colony rate of greater than 1000 CFU/mL is now accepted for significant bacteriuria.

Symptoms here include:
1 Frequency of micturition by day and night
2 Painful voiding (dysuria)
3 Suprapubic pain and tenderness
4 Haematuria.
5 Smelly urine.
So as per criteria you have symptomatic female with significant pus cells and significant bacteruria (because counts are more than 1000).
It indicates that you are suffering from klebeshella infection in urinary tract.
For medication you can discuss with your doctor and take medication accordingly.

If you have any query you can ask me in follow up question.
Or direct question at
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor