Having urinary tract infection. Taking amoxicillin. What is the long term antibiotic remedy?

Dr. V. Sasanka

Urologist

Posted on Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: prostatitus---had for 30 yrs after urinary tract infection in 1982 that i contracted after knee surgery. gave me too much GEOCILLIN that took out the good flora etc. i always burn when i urinate and have pressure up the butt. accupuncture works some. recent flare up dr gave digital and it burned like crazy out the penis. he said soft and mushy. put me on amoxicillin as i work out alot and do not want to rupture achilles. the burning is the worst part on urination. ice helps. can you comment on ARNICA, CONIUM, NAMENDA, AND XXXXXXX SERRULATA. going crazy with this thing. some sources say combine ARNICA 6C WITH CONIUM 6C--2X DAILY. I am not looking for long term antibiotic remedy. thanks
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 24 hours later
Brief Answer: Physical therapy might help. Detailed Answer: Hi, What you have mentioned is almost the typical history of patients who present to us with long forgotten episode of acute prostatitis followed by recurrent flareups. If you are hurting badly, there is certainly a role for use of antibiotics - you can give your urine for culture after a prostatic massage, and start antibiotics accordingly. I do understand that you are not comfortable with long term antibiotics, but you could try them at least short term initially, and maybe switch to something like Nitrofurantoin / Sulphamethoxazole -trimethoprim / Cephlexin which at very low doses practically have no side-effects, and and do actually help and you might be able to stop them altogether after 3 months rather than continue life long. You also could try other measures such as use of alpha-blockers such as Flomax, and even use physical therapy like sitz baths which would involve your immersing yourself in a tepid bath, and relaxing for 20-30 minutes or so. Yoga or TaiChi are known to help very much in refractory cases. I am glad to know Ice helps in your case. I personally have no experience with the herbal medication that you have mentioned, but offhand, I suggest that if you really want to use them, please ensure that conventional drugs are not avoided altogether. Let me know how you are progressing. If you have urinary obstruction, sometimes the best procedure might be a prostate resection. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. V. Sasanka 6 hours later
thank you dr. i am on doxycycline and for 5 days no change. would you sugguest to change to cipro or levaquin as they may be better. i do not want to tear my achilles as i work out alot. and lastly are the nitrofurantoin, splphamet---etc prescription drugs and is one better than the other---you did a great job answering my question and thank you very muchl
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Doxycycline better for urethral infection Detailed Answer: I do not expect doxycycline to work in your case though it is excellent for urethral infection where it could be the drug of choice. Definitely Ciprofloxacin or Levofloxacin or Ofloxacin are better, and I guess you need to probably be careful in your workout regimens to avoid tendon injuries, which are more common among younf adults and adolescents. I also feel that you could benefit from use of drugs like baclofen which is a skeletal muscle relaxant which might get your pelvis muscles to ease up, and reduce lower abdominal discomfort. Also use of drugs like Pregabalin which mighht reduce the firing of pelvic nerves. Unfortunately, not everyone gets better with a standard treatment regimen, and your condition is a fairly common condition that is seen by most urologists. each of us have our own pet way of treating, and you need to juggle with combinations a bit to find the right one that suits you. This is also the reason why I advised you to not rely on medication alone, and see if physical therapy such as sitz baths and yoga will help. I am sure the drugs which I mentioned earlier are reasonably safe, but at the outset, I also should tell you that a 3 month course with sulfas is likely to produce an effect equivalent to 2 months with drugs like Levaquin, but the cost is much less, and if you are not allergic to sulfas, is reasonably safe. I really am not sure how the system works in your place of residence but I think it would be difficult to get them without prescription.