Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Having upper abdominal pain in gall bladder region. Done with the tests. Suggest the treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 52 Questions
Have had mostly upper right abdominal pain for 5 months. Pain occasionally moves to left or back but primarily in gall bladder/liver region.. All labs have been normal until recently found lipase to be at 105. Some labs call this "normal" my PCP is ready to call it pancreatitis due to the fact that ultrasound, and CT scan showed nothing. Any thoughts.
Very confused and scared
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take care

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

I looked at the attached reports.
Endoscopy shows mild gastritis so first of all do take treatment for it including some diet changes that your PCP would advice.
The lipase level of 105 is not high however it depends on the reference range of the lab where it was done to know what is normal for them. CT abdomen and US being normal I gather does not appear to have any anatomical problem.
Does US by any chance show gallstones or sludge? Microcalcifications in the biliary system is another thing to look at and talk to your PCP if he/she would like to do a MRCP to look at the bile duct and pancreatic duct as well.

Till then I will advise you the following lifestyle changes:
- Take nutritious,high fiber diet. Take more of fruits and vegetables, atleast 5 times a day
- Hygienic food and pure drinking water
- Take low calorie diet. Avoid high calorie foods like milk products (butter, ghee, cheese, icecream, etc). Can take milk.
- Take regular and small meals.
-Try doing some exercise. It will help with better blood circulation.

Take care and do not be worried. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having upper abdominal pain in gall bladder region. Done with the tests. Suggest the treatment? 1 hour later
Had a HIDA scan done last week and also appears normal. My PCP has indicated that normal Lipase for his lab is 60 or less and appears to be concerned about pancreas. Is there another test to ensure that it is not pancreas? Another main symptom I have been having is regular night sweats which I have attributed to the Benadryl I am taking to help me sleep. Is this possible?
Also like to add that although HIDA scan was normal the 2nd ultrasound showed sluggish gall bladder. Could this be what is causing all of my problems?
Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Amylase test

Detailed Answer:

1. In this case, I suggest to look at the Amylase level as well and if it is significantly high then I would think of pancreatitis as a possibility.

2. Benadryl is relatively well tolerated. Night sweats is unlikely to be related to benadryl.

3. Well a slowly emptying gallbladder (sluggish) is also likely going to give the symptoms mentioned by yourself. Take a diet low in fats (lipids) and see how it helps you.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor