Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Having unprotected sex. Missed period. HPT negative. Getting pregnancy symptoms. Am I pregnant?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 7228 Questions
Hello I am now 7 days late with my period. Done pregnancy test 3 times but it is negative (last one this morning).i had some slight cramps on the day of getting my period but since then not much. I m one having a massive headache for last 3 dAys. Also having lower backache and strong pains in my upper legs. Feeling sleepy a lot. Also must say that last month I had very heavy period for about 3-4 days which is normal for me and always have them regular. however when i thought my period stopped I had some spotting for next 2 weeks or brown discharge. I Went to have blood pregnancy test and it was negative and also some ultrasound and it was ok. .im having unprotected sex with my husband for about 5 months now.
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 47 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

In the current scenario, it is unlikely that you are pregnant with 3 negative urine tests, negative blood test and normal sonogram. Also, you had spotting during the last month and this raises the suspicion of some hormonal imbalance, although local causes like a vaginitis, cervicitis and cervical erosion have to be ruled out.

The symptoms you are experiencing are not typical only for pregnancy; they can be seen in the premenstrual phase as well. Sudden changes in the weight, stress, use of some medications, polycystic ovaries or abnormal thyroid profile can lead to imbalance of the hypothalamo-pituitary-ovarian (HPO) axis. This presents as irregular periods, prolonged bleeding or spotting.

I would advice you to see a gynecologist for a physical examination and proper evaluation of your amenorrhoea. You may need withdrawal medication if your doctor feels so. If you are anxious to conceive, you may go for the investigation protocol usually followed. Your husband also would be evaluated.

Hope I have clarified your doubt. If you need further clarifications, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor