Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Having type II diabetes. Had back surgery done. Numbness and discomfort in lower back. Any ideas?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 634 Questions
I have had 2 back surgeries L5S1. it's been at least 15 years since last surgery. I have type II diabetes mostly controlled. And DDD. I have recently had lower back discomfort with numbness and at the same time burning and discomfort in my lower back. I can usually get it better with Motrin and Zantac, because the motrin tears my stomach up. Is there any other recommendations. I think maybe some sensory nerve damage, but I have recently started a line dancing class to help increase exercise, but have to keep leaning over to relieve the affects. Any ideas? Thanks
Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 26 minutes later
Hi there,

Thanks for asking.

As you mentioned dancing and any practice to strengthen the muscle around your vertebra could be helpful, since they help for a better alignment of your back.
You may use Mortin just on a as needed basis since you are diabetic and it can affect your kidney perfusion. It could also be harmful for circulatory system and it can induce hypertension. As you mentioned it may also cause stomach problem.

The lower lumbar ache with sensory disturbance may or may not be related. However you also need to know that abdominal aortic aneurysm also may show itself in this way and it is a relatively common issue in the diabetic patients. You may ask your doctor to assess your situation to see what might be the possible factor in order not to miss anything.

Weight reduction is also extremely useful for controlling the back pain and it would be also useful for your sugar level control.

Hope this answers your query. I wish you the best health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor