Having torn muscles in leg. On walking boots. Is it normal to have swelling?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Tore the two muscle in the back of my leg 3 months ago was off work for 2 months when u came back to work my leg swollen and was very painful to the top if my foot and toes could n I t walk my doctor put me in a boot I am able to walk but it swells every day if I take the boot off it goes in to my feet and I cant walk is this normal or could there still be something wrong with my leg its been 3 months
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 5 hours later
Brief Answer: You may need to investigate further Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us, I have studied your case with diligence. As per your history there can be torn muscle with tendon in your leg. I will advise to do new Ultrasound and MRI to see for process of healing of torn muscle and tendon. If there is healing you need to rest the affect the affected limb. Physiotherapy may enhance healing, you can start ultrasound and TENS therapy. If MRI shows no healing with widened gap you may need to undergo surgical correction of torn part. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion Wishing you good health. Take care.