Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Having tinnitus due to ear drum perforation. What causes crackling sound while swallowing?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1109 Questions
I am having tinnitus in my left year since 4 months post healing of ear drum perforation which is result of blow to the ear. The hissing sound is more noticed during night and seems un noticeable during day also accompanied by a crackling sound while swallowing... I recently underwent audogram and the reports confirm normal hearing.. please confirm what would help me lead a normal life back
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: start medicines Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX You have post traumatic tinnitus with normal audiogram . You said you have crackling sound while swallowing ---you can take a course of antibiotics and oral and nasal decongestant, low dose steroids to decrease the chances of fluid collection in the ear and this is the way of treating the reversible cause . If there is injury to inner ear then---- Treatment should have been taken early. But even now you can take multivitamins , Drugs to improve blood supply to the inner ear like vertin .Avoid smoking and alcohol, eat healthy. In post traumatic cases there is need for steroids and drugs to improve blood supply in the immediate post trauma period to prevent any injury. Get ent consultation and take medicines accordingly in tapering dose. You do not have hearing loss otherwise a hearing aid would have been a good option. You can use a watch which makes sound like tic tac or put a radio in room at low sound to avoid hearing that sound. In doubt do reply.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having tinnitus due to ear drum perforation. What causes crackling sound while swallowing? 20 minutes later
thanks for the quick response Dr Abhishek! I took a course of allegra and mucodyne capsules till the perforation got healed. I do smoke and drink! please guide if there is a major threat.. Will I be all fine soon?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: early medicine is the remedy Detailed Answer: hello, stop smoking as nicotine decrease the blood supply .And the inner ear gets damaged due to decreased blood supply. Secondly take a course of antibiotics and decongestants and steroids orally in tapering dose ,now. As you have that crackling sound while chewing which occurs because of improper functioning of eustachian tube a tube connecting the middle part of ear and back of nose. We have to make the tube working in proper condition . Thirdly about the complete relief , i can not guarantee as 4 month time has passed but you should start the treatment ,now. In doubt do reply
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having tinnitus due to ear drum perforation. What causes crackling sound while swallowing? 30 minutes later
Sure doctor I shall control smoking.. however wil there be any tests to check and confirm if there is injury to inner ear? I visited two Ent specialists in Mumbai. the former suggested to wait and see the perforation is healed as it got healed she asked me to go for audogram infact the second doc too suggested for audogram to see any damage to ear.. what should be the ideal treatment? would you suggest me to refer any in specific in India ?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 13 hours later
Brief Answer: You can see doctor at hinduja Detailed Answer: Hello, The tinnitus arises from small hair cells inside the inner ear which get activated due to any injury. There is no test for the tinnitus testing as such. If you have tinnitus that is the symptom. The audiogram and other tests for cochlear (inner ear ) functions are done to see for any hearing loss and any other associated disease. But if you have a normal audiogram then you can get done a impedance audiometry to see for the middle part of ear , whether there is fluid collection or not. In bombay you can contact dr. Kirtane he his a XXXXXXX ear surgeon , he attends opd at Hinduja hospital. In doubt do reply
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor