Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Having terrible periods. Experiencing lower pelvic and back pain. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10356 Questions
I am a 52 year old female, have had my period since I was 12, 5 pregnancies with 5 live births. I normally have my period every 25 to 29 days. I have had terrible periods the past 2 years and had a Dr suggest ablation. I was scheduled 5 months ago but had to cancel. For the past 3 weeks I have been experiencing lower pelvic pain, sometimes a feeling of an extreme need to urinate then it passes and if I try to go there is very little there. And lower back ache along the entire lower back. The pains come and go but have become stronger.
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain in the lower abdomen associated with a frequency of micturition is likely to be due to a involves the tract through which the urine flows. It is commonly caused by bacteria like Escherichia coli, Klebsiella etc. This commonly causes burning while urination, an increased frequency of urination and having to get up in the night to pass urine. These infections are common in women and are easily treatable. The treatment of this would involve the following:
a. Drink plenty of fluids
b. Cranberry juice has been shown to be useful in fighting this infection.
c. You can take a urine alkalinizing agent like disodium hydrogen citrate
d. You would also need a course of antibiotics like ciprofloxacin. However, it would be best if we get a urine culture and sensitivity done in order to identify the bacterium and know which antibiotic it is susceptible to.
Since these are prescription drugs, I would suggest you see your physician for the same. With this treatment, I think you should be good in about 1 week.
Given your age, I would also suggest a screening for diabetes since these infections are more common in diabetics.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor