Having symptoms of hypothyroidism. T4 is low but TSH is normal. Suggest?

Posted on Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I am having symptoms of hypothyroidism. My free T4 is low but my TSH is normal. Could I still have hypothyroidism?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Isolated T4 deficiency

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

We have seen a few patients in our clinic with normal tsh and low t4. These patients have isolated t4 deficiency.
You need treatment for the same only if your t3 is lower than t4 and more importantly if you have symptoms of hypothyroidism like tiredness, loss of hair, gain of weight, decreased tolerance to cold, etc. Please approach an endocrinologist for the same

I hope I was of help. If you have any further queries please get back to me

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 27 hours later
What specific lab tests should I request from my Physician?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query

You should first get a free T3 level done and based on that you should ask for Levothyroxine sodium tablets. Starting dose of 1 to 1.3 per kg body weigh.

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist