Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

155 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Having swollen shoulder, tingling sensation and sharp pain in eye. What is causing this?

Answered by
Dr. Stephen Christensen

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1986

Answered : 212 Questions

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I woke up on Tuesday morning and the moment I opened my eyes sharp pain went through my right eye and down to my upper arm , since then I have had tingling and pain on and off in that area, today my coller bone and shoulders a very swollen , it dose not hurt to touch but hurts when I move , my head feels too heavy for my neck and shoulders to hold. What could this be please I'm very worried. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 2 hours later
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen.
I'm sorry you're not feeling well. It's very difficult to put your symptoms together, and it simply isn't possible to diagnose your condition without an examination. However, your story is worrisome in view of your history of lupus and galactorrhea (unexplained lactation). People with autoimmune disorders and malignancies occasionally develop a condition called superior vena cava syndrome, which is characterized by narrowing or obstruction of the large vein that moves blood from your upper extremities and head to your heart. Superior vena cava syndrome can cause swelling of the face, neck and/or upper extremities, head fullness, shortness of breath, distorted vision, and chest, neck or head pain. Certain malignancies and autoimmune diseases, such as sarcoidosis, lymphoma and bronchogenic carcinoma, are associated with both superior vena cava syndrome and galactorrhea.
Superior vena cava syndrome is a serious condition that warrants immediate medical evaluation. While your symptoms may be due to something relatively innocuous, such as a muscle strain, I suggest you see a physician as soon as possible.
I hope that answers your question. I'll be available if you have additional concerns.
Good luck!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Muscle strain

doctor1 MD

Hi, i do have a question, just a couple of day ago i had the stomach virus where think i put a strain on my butt muscle. there was blood in my stool but i notice that the next couple of days blood has been in my urine and when im cleaning myself after use as well as a lil clotting not to much. Im worried cause i dont know if its from me putting a strain on the muscle or something else oh and im far from being on my cycle..

doctor1 MD

This is a follow-up to our chat of a few days ago re magnesium to alleviate intense muscle spasms in my thigh. It seems to be helping along with the 2mg Tizanidine . I have spoken with my internist and he agrees that I should see an orthopedist to...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I am getting a pain the right groin area since last night. I have been lifting weights for some time now but I did not feel any pain while exercising. The pain began while I was sleeping last night. Though the pain is not severe,it...

doctor1 MD

I am a 25 yr old male. I have been having pains in my lower stomach and left side and across the middle of my stomach and down into my groin for 5 days now. I have been to the ER twice and they each checked my urine and blood and the results were fine. They prescribed me Cipro, Robaxtin and Naproxen. They felt that I may have a muscle strain. None of the meds are working and I feel that it may be something else wrong.

doctor1 MD

Hi, I injured myself during yoga today. I felt a pop in the center of my chest , on both sides of my sternum . I can breathe fine. It is painful to bend over or raise my arms. The instructor thought that I probably pulled muscles that connect to...

doctor1 MD

I keep smelling a fruity sweet smell most like bananas. I woke up smelling this and I. The car and at work we had BBQ catered in and I sat next to the table with all the food and I only smelled that fruity smell. I am so experiencing severe pain I. My left eye ball like a muscle strain. I do have sinus problems, take thyroid meds for hypothyroidism and was out on the sun working in the yard all day 2 days ago. I've never experienced this before not even before I had sinus surgery 4 yrs ago.

doctor1 MD

On Friday I called 911 and went to emergency by ambulance. After an ECG, x-rays, blood tests, oxygen, and an IV, the attending doctor said that the chest pains, neck pain, tingling in my face and shortness of breath had been caused by elevated enzymes in my chest wall. She said it could have come from a strained muscle. BUT I didn't have any muscle strain. What could have caused those symtoms?