Having swollen neck and part of shoulder. Having inflammation. Causing headache. Taking Advil. Help?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in General Health
Question: the side of my neck is swollen - going around the top part of my shoulders. It has happened before and went down somewhat. Now, it is bigger and appears to be inflammed. I cannot turn my neck. It has caused a headache and I have taken over 3,000 mg of Advil - which has not helped.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am pleased to be able to assist you with your health query.

If the swelling seems to be inflammed thwn there is likely the possibility that it is due to an infection which might require antibiotics in order to cure it. Advil is an NSAID medication poweeful enough to normally take care of the pain but can not cure the infection. I suggest you go to the emergency room where you can propey be examined, cause determined and cured/treated. Generally antibiotics such a penicillins, erythromycin etc can cure. You can also be given other medications for pain killing such as acetaminophen combined to advil or diclofenac.

Hope this helps

Dr. Nsah
Follow up: Dr. Nsah Bernard 6 hours later
What types of infections cause swollen lymph nodes
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 days later

Thanks for updating with another question,

Well there are a wide range but the most common are viral and bacterial infections which could have reached the lymph through blood. You might require additional blood tests in order to rule out that possibility. Also an underlying autoimmune conditions need to be ruled out.

Cheers
Dr. Nsah
Dr. Nsah Bernard