Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Having swollen lump on knee. History of having thrombosis in other knee. What are the risks?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1015 Questions
Hi I have a lump at the crease of my left knee, leg hurts a little, its not hard, more a swelling.. should i be worried. I had a thrombosis in the other leg some 27 years ago and I would not say its a thrombosis. This swelling appeared about 2 weeks ago, I am a cyclist, am not aware of any muscle pull. Bit of pain radiates up the back of the leg from the swelling in the crease.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 37 minutes later
Thanks for your query.

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.

It would be better if you mention the size of the swelling, whether it is increasing in size or restricted movement of the knee.

From the information provided i think it might be a Baker cyst which is swelling caused by fluid from the knee joint protruding to the back of the knee. Can be diagnosed by the doctor's examination and confirmed by radiological testing.

Baker cysts often resolve with aspiration (removal) of excess knee fluid in conjunction with cortisone injection. Medications are sometimes given to relieve pain and inflammation.

It need to be examined and the diagnosis should be confirmed, so i advice you to see orthopedic surgeon.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor