Having swollen glands, sore throat, loss of appetite, severe fatigue, chest pain. Symptoms of mono?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: My 16 year old daughter has had the classic sympotoms of Mono for about a month. Low grade fever on and off, fever of 102 or more a couple times. Swollen glands, sore throat, loss of appetite, severe fatigue etc. She seemed to be improving last week and now its back again but she is having heart palpations, dizziness and chest pain. I have not taken her to a doctor yet, as we do not have insurance and I have read that this illness resolves itself over time in most cases. I am wondering if these symptoms indicate she may need to see a doctor. She is in good health normally. She is not on any medications. Very athletic.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Yes definitely symptoms suggest towards infectious mononucleosis.
Mononucleosis, or mono, is often spread by saliva and close contact. It is known as "the kissing disease," and occurs most often in those age 15 to 17. However, the infection may develop at any age.

Mono may begin slowly with fatigue, a general ill feeling, headache, and sore throat. The sore throat slowly gets worse. Your tonsils become swollen and develop a whitish-yellow covering. The lymph nodes in the neck are frequently swollen and painful.
I would advise you to get the blood work done in order to settle the diagnosis.
Blood work often reveals a higher-than-normal white blood cell (WBC) count and unusual-looking white blood cells called atypical lymphocytes, which are seen when blood is examined under a microscope. Atypical lymphocytes and abnormal liver function tests are a hallmark sign of the disease.
A monospot test will be positive for infectious mononucleosis.

The goal of treatment is to relieve symptoms.
To relieve typical symptoms:
Drink plenty of fluids.
Gargle with warm salt water to ease a sore throat.
Get plenty of rest.
Take pain killers Like ibuprofen 

The fever usually drops in 10 days, and swollen lymph glands and spleen heal in 4 weeks. Fatigue usually goes away within a few weeks, but may linger for 2 to 3 months.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 minutes later
What about the heart palpitations, chest pain and dizziness. Are those normal symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 minutes later
These symptoms can arise because of fatigue,fever and general muscle pain.
Thanks