Having swelling in leg. Feeling painful. Wearing boot. Cannot walk. Is there something wrong?

Dr. Moustafa Saeed

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Tore the two muscle in the back of my leg 3 months ago was off work for 2 months when u came back to work my leg swollen and was very painful to the top if my foot and toes could n I t walk my doctor put me in a boot I am able to walk but it swells every day if I take the boot off it goes in to my feet and I cant walk is this normal or could there still be something wrong with my leg its been 3 months
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly not healed yet.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for your question.

Swelling in the ankles and feet after lower legs injury is very common and can last few months. However the pain is expected to settle by now.
The muscles itself usually heals within few weeks, but the tendons sometimes do not heal fully unless edges of the torn tendon are close to each other.
Do you know which muscle or tendon was torn during the injury?

If the pain is not improving then repeat scan of the torn muscles/tendon should be considered to check the healing/scar tissue around the injured area.

If pain bearable and you are able to walk full weight bearing then physiotherapy will be an option now.

kind regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T