Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Having swelling in foot and ankle. Had orthotics for flat feet. What to do?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 1337 Questions
I cannot figure which type of doctor to go to. I have swelling in my left foot and ankle. I had surgery for the top part of my foot several years ago to scrape it? (Foot doctor) But continued to have pain afterwards when walking. Have had orthotics for flat feet for at least 5 years. Right foot OK but felt like Igor many of times trying to walk on left. 10 Years ago before I possibly sprained my ankle and kept reinjuring it but did not go in for tx. Then to top it off, I had a fall in my garage 5 years ago flat on my face. etc. etc. that created surgery, hemotomas in forehead, broken nose. However, I mention this as my whole left side was black and blue days following even though I fell on my face literally. I had surgery to get rid of a carbunckle (?) blood pooling on my left hip. Why I mention this is that it seemed I started to have swelling in my left foot after this. Have not had any special tests, X rays that I know of for the ankle/foot area, so do not know if I just go back again to foot doctor having gone to him after saying I was still having some swelling and at that time he suggested PT. He mentioned to come back if that didn't work, but I am bothered by the fact that I didn't have any tests done before or after. My regular doctor that I don't have a lot of faith in except for the usual check up etc, but not any sort of specialty? I'm wondering if I should seek out a foot 'and' ankle doctor? am I looking at vascular? (being on BP meds) All I know is that something isn't quite right and I am wanting to be able to go to the right effective place as like a lot of people, money is an issue and would like to go to the right place for the right situation.
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 26 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
The timescale for your injuries to your ankle appear to stretch back 5 years. There may have been soft tissue injuries at this time which would have caused pain and swelling. You seem to have been suffering for many years with little benefit from physiotherapy. Therefore, I would suggest you need to see an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in feet. Scans of your foot may help identify the underlying problem which will guide further treatment. This may not necessarily be surgery and may be physiotherapy but you will have a definitive diagnosis which will give you confidence in any further management.
I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor