Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Having suborbital haematoma. Bump and bruised appeared. Is this normal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1775 Questions
I have a suborbital haematoma as a result of a knock on the head last week. There is still quite a large bump there and the bruising has reached my chin now. Is that normal?
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

The tissues in the face are generally lose and lot of space between their layers and hence the blood can trickle down to the lower part of the face. This is normal. If the blood is quite large to clot then it can seep down because of gravity.

Treat it with warm compresses for 3 to 4 times a day may be beneficial.

Let me know if you have further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having suborbital haematoma. Bump and bruised appeared. Is this normal? 5 hours later
I'm worried about the large, hard and painful bump above my eye. It is about an inch and a half in diameter (a bit like Shrek!)
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 7 hours later
The bump should start reducing in size as the week passes. Keep observing its size. There is no need to drain it now. The bump is a clot and the normal healthy human body produces enough clot lyzing factors. You can continue the warm compresses thrice a day for 10 minutes each.

Do not worry. If you do not have any further queries you may close this discussion and rate my answer.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Critical Care

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor