Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Having stye on upper eye lid. Growing big and painful. Warm compresses not working. What can I do?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 822 Questions
I have a stye underneath my upper eyelid toward the inward corner of my right eye. It has been there for months and has not ruptured to drain. I had one similarly on my lower eyelid on the same eye that eventually did rupture and is now gone. But, this one seems to be growing a bit and is painful. I am certain it is a stye in comparison to the other, which was looked at by my eye doctor. However, I am unable to get in to see my doctor for two weeks and am wondering if there is anything I can do in the meantime. I know puncturing it is not advisable and warm compresses do not seem to be working. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 14 hours later

Thanks for your query.

I can feel your concerns.

Mostly styes will drain and resolve on their own. But if it grows then it may need surgical drainage.

Do not press or squeeze it; otherwise infection will spread. Continue with warm compresses at least for 10-15 minutes five times a day. Take some pain killer (paracetamol). You can also use local antibiotic and steroid ointment after consulting your doctor

Hope this helps. I will be available for your help

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor