Having stomach ache and feeling nausea. Test showed enlarged lymph nodes. Any solution?

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My daughter aged 11 years detected thyroid T3 216.39& TSH 7.319 and after that from 3 weeks she has got severe stomach pain and nausea. The doctor then asked to take us scan and blood test and it says two enlarged lymph nodes and impressions ? acute appendicitis and blood report leucocytes count 6840 and referred to a surgon. He prescribed surgery note required and given rantac 150 and cyclopam. But still she is having stomach pain. during day time its bearable and night its very severe. Kindly advise ?
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello Mr. S and thanks for the query
I have read your query with diligence. Your sonography report is little confusing and we can not confirm Appendicitis as your leukocytes counts are within normal limit. TLC have to be raised in acute appendicitis. May be that is the reason your surgeon advised you that surgery is not required.

Not the other finding that has reported in your sonography report is enlarged lymph nodes. There are possibility that pain in abdomen may be due to enlarged lymph node. For this you need to find out the cause for enlarged lymph node and accordingly take a course of effective antibiotic with anti-inflammatory drugs. Continue Rantac and Cyclopam as advised by your doctor.

Some of the causes for enlarged lymph node are:
1. Infection: The infection may be bacterial or viral.
2. Inflammation of the node
3. Malignancy like lymphoma.

In my personal opinion before getting started to any treatment you must repeat your daughter's sonography and TLC (Total leukocyte count) from a reliable center. These are necessary to establish a diagnosis. Keep a record of temperature for next 24 hrs.

As per thyroid is concern your daughter's value are mildly raised and you need to consult your endocrinologist that whether she needs any medication or not.

Get back after the investigation reports. Write back if you have any related query

Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh