Having stomach ache and feeling bloated. How to cure the problem?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi, I sometimes wake up at about with pain in my stomach and the need to expel gas, the pressure is so much I can only take shallow breathes or the pain gets worse. Sometimes I cant expel gas, but try and strain. The pain is still here but not as bad after my morning bowel movement. I also have stomach problems when I take anti inflamatories, so I dont take them anymore... I feel like I am more gassy than a normal person aswell, Im finding it to be interrupting my daily life. if I dont expel the gas I get very uncomfortable and bloated.....could you please help?
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 47 minutes later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
The symptoms you describe indicate that you have
"Spstic Colon" as it used to be called, now we know
as Irritable Bowel Syndrome XXXXXXX
This could be associated with either diarrhea or constipation,
sometimes the alternating variety.
If you have this problem, even normal amounts of gas
can give you more pain because of increased sensitivity
0f your intestines. This is related to Serotonin hormone.
I am glad that you avoid anti-inflammatory drugs,
especially NSAIDS like Ibuprofen, Naproxen and even
Aspirin that can cause stomach upset or evn ulcers.
What you need to do is to increse your fiber in your diet.
Eating whole grain cereals, fresh fruits and vegetables
are important. So is drinking adequate amount of fluids.
You can strart taking fiber supplements such as Metamucil
daily, 2-3 tablespoons a day with enough water.
Walking a mile or two three times a week is very good.
Make sure you don't have lactose intolerance or Celiac
disease. These can be ruled out easily. Talk to your doctor.
Wish you well.