Having stomach ache and diarrhoea immediately after eating. Taking less spicy food. What is the treatment?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My wife gets stomach ache and diarrhoea immediately after eating. she says she gets the urge to use toilet while eating. sometimes, for about 2 weeks she is fine and the onset of the symptoms is usually after taking certain food items. milk, XXXXXXX are some of her food triggers which she is currently avoiding. she has been to 3 doctors and each diagnosed her differently from others. she is not ok with taking spicy food, which causes diarrhoea. she is unable to have even less spicy food for breakfast. Once, all she had was peach, banana and orange (without any dressing on fruit salad) in empty stomach for breakfast. Then she ended up getting diarrohea. pls help
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

It looks like your wife is suffering from irritable bowel syndrome.

I would like to have some more information so that I can give a better opinion.

1. How long has she been having this symptom?
2. Does bowel movement occur after she goes to sleep?
3. Is there any weight loss?
4. Is she on any medication?
5. Is she a diabetic?
6. Does she have thyroid issues?
7.What are all the tests done so far?

Get back to me with these information and I would give my opinion.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 15 minutes later
1. for about 2 yrs when she felt that her loose motion was only because of carbonated drinks. later she found more food was affecting her
2. no bowel movement after sleep.. she gets urine frequently at night and feeling of not emptying bladder fully
3. i think no
4. no
5. no
6. blood test about 5 months ago shows thyroid is normal
7. colonoscopy in 2012,
tests in march 2013- hematology, stools, thyroid

she says she gets stool sometimes like loose motion, or just water or thin small strips (semi solid) or small round balls
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More information given below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Are you from Chennai?
What diagnosis did the doctor make?
What has the doctor prescribed for her symptoms?

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
no, we are in mumbai
at first, she had felt constipated. then she got loose motion. she mentioned the doc that she got blood in loose motion so he was more concerned about blood and diagnosed her with haemmohroids in 2012. only once in these 2yrs she has got blood in loose motion, otherwise, blood when she gets constipated

in march 2013., another doc said its ibs. her blood tests and stool tests were normal. he gave her colospa retard and vibact(probiotic) on suspicion that its ibs. but once when she stopped taking medicines, again her symptoms started. she was taking medicine whenever her symptoms started but it took her 2 days to relieve her from symptom after taking medicine

then about 2 months ago, she went to another doc. when he was told about ibs, he said ibs is more of a psychological problem and diagnosed her with gastro colic reflux. he gave her razo D, velgut, O2/ornoxin, ivoral forte.. but she still got loose motion once in a day
Reports attached

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 39 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below

Detailed Answer:
The information you have given points towards irritable bowel syndrome only.

But few other tests have to be done.
Tests for celiac disease have to be done.

This includes upper GI endoscopy/small bowel biopsy and blood tests( tissue transglutaminase antibody).

Let her take a course of rifaximin and also take probiotics,antispasmodics and antidepressants.

You can discuss with her doctor about these tests and medications.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 51 minutes later
thank you so much for your immediate help
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome