Having stabbing pain in abdomen and diarrhoea. Taking adderral. Should I be worried?

Dr. Veera Raghava Rao Buddha.

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, im a 38 year old man smoked for 20 years, I have been having sharp stabbing pains in my left side of abnomin about a 7 for 2 monnths now. i have lost i weight from 170 in july now im down to 143 nov 6 .i have severe diarea .i had a colonoscapy in end of aug. everything came back normal. last week i hadt a ct scan. for the sharp stabbing pain in my left side. The ct scan came back ok.on all my organs.so they say..my body is deteriating at a rapid pace they wont do any other blood test on my organs due to ct negative..could they have missed something.There is deff something going on in my body..i look like an ethopian when i lay down nothing but ribs..These Dr. are residential ..today only thing they did is stol samples for parasites or bacteria...I am scheduled for a Endoscopic Ultrasonagraphy.With Fine needle Aspiration..thats not till Nov 27..Im sared im not going to make it by then..im losing about 10 pounds every 3 weeks..I need serious Help!!. And i started Adderral 10mg twice a day.Could this be effecting anything?
Answered by Dr. Veera Raghava Rao Buddha. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You are male 38 y, relief of abdominal pain. Detailed Answer: Hi, You got pain on the left side of abdomen since 2 months. You had severe diarrhea, weight loss. Colonoscopy, C.T. scan, stool examination were all normal. You are a smoker for 20 years; it may have caused ischemia of the intestines, due to atherosclerosis. The other reasons for pain in the left side of abdomen could be urinary tract infection, stone in the ureter or medulla of kidney, hernia. As you have diarrhea it could be the infection in the intestines, and rarely due to anxiety. The reason for no cure of diarrhea may be Diabetes, or H.I.V., or tuberculosis of the intestines. It may be the intolerance to foods like milk, milk products, wheat, and barley. So avoid these things and spices, junk foods and oily foods. You are in habit of taking alcohol and left it now. You were taking opiates and left them since 8 months. These may not be related. You got depression and taking medicines, one of the medicines may cause irritation of the stomach, and causing pain. I advise you to consult a physician for diagnosis and treatment. I usually prescribe to my patients with such symptoms ranitidine300, furazolidone, metronidazole, and dicyclomine hydrochloride for temporary relief, until the diagnosis is established. Feel free to write back, for any doubts. Wishing for a quick and complete recovery. Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Veera Raghava Rao Buddha. 38 minutes later
They told me it couldnt be any of those because it would of shown up on my ct scan..and all my organs were normal no fluid stones in kidney gallbladder.They have done blood work on liver enzymes were normal.Electrolites were fine.And my white blood count was normal. Another Dr on here said it could be this, As per your symptoms there is possibility of malabsorption syndrome which can be confirmed by fine aspiration cytology [FNAC]. I will advise to check your B 12 and Liver function test via blood. As you are losing your weight there is possibility of malignancy so I will advise you to do PET scan to detect any abnormality in early stage if your FNAC comes normal.
Answered by Dr. Veera Raghava Rao Buddha. 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Investigations are required Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand how anxious you are at this moment. The tests mentioned are definitely of value in identifying or excluding the malignancy, or malabsorption syndrome etc. You will get your diagnosis, but before that, you could get relief by the medicines I have mentioned. Please do get them prescribed by your doctor. Diabetes, HIV, and tuberculosis are to be tested by blood test, and if tested before it is O.K, otherwise it is advisable to exclude them by tests. Wishing for a quick and complete recovery. Thank you.