Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Having sore throat and uvula covered with white sores. What is the cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 1113 Questions
Hi I have had a sore throat for 5 days. Test for strep was negative (on sunday at an urgent care facility in my town). He gave me antibiotics, but by today it was still not better, so I went to my normal doctor who said he had never seen it before and prescribed lidocaine mouthwash. I have one ulcer on the uvula on the front, but was just applying the lidocaine prescribed for me by my doctor and I happened to flip the uvula back and the entire back of the uvula is covered with white sores. I am in ridiculous pain. Nothing works to stop it. I haven't talked, slept, or eaten and only have had small sips of water since Sunday. First doctor gave me percocet but that doesn't do anything. I tried applying alum, but almost threw up from the taste and my uvula started bleeding as a result. What are my options? Do I try to get in with an ENT tomorrow (the wed before thanksgiving?) going to be impossible, but wondering if it is worth it. Can they provide any other options such that I might be able to enjoy a few bites of thanksgiving dinner and talk to my family and friends? Thank you
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Add some more drug Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query and medical history. I understand you are in serious trouble. I would add some more drugs to the treatment already prescribed. It includes: 1. Antiseptic and analgesic mouth gel with lozenges. 2. Use local steroid paste and lozenges to the affected area. 3. Maintain oral hygiene as much as possible. 4. Add multi vitamin supplements specially folic acid. 5. Pre and probiotic. 6. Avoid spicy food, smoking and drinking if you have. I am not sure if you can get all the aforementioned list of drugs over the counter. You can take the help of your ENT specialist to prescribe those to you. The doctor may consider laryngoscopic examination to diagnose the condition before managing it with the list of drugs. Hope this helps. If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor