Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
122 Doctors are Online

Having sore ear. Having salty taste in mouth. What is wrong? Suggest some treatment

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 362 Questions
My ear is sore and the bone under ear where jaw opens and closes. Also under jaw dont know if it is my gland or not but is painful. I can have a salty taste in my mouth. I do suffer from ulcers and the side of my cheek where ear is sore feels raw. Could you please help with what is wrong and treatment
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Based on the description of your symptoms, you most likely have either of the two possibilities.
1. External ear infection, otitis externa.
2. Salivary gland infection - Parotitis.

It is more likely to be due to parotitis.
You have painful gland below the jaw, ear pain, salty taste in mouth and soreness of cheeck on the same side. It is likey due to involvement of the parotid gland on the same side.

It is a salivary gland located just beneath the ear lobe and just behind and below the jaw bone. Its duct opens into the cheek oposite the upper molars on the same side. Thats why such soreness of cheek.

You would need to do the following.
You must take a course of antibiotics such as Augmentin (Amoxycillin + Clavunate). Also take an analgesics. This would usually settle in 48 hours.

If not, you must consult an ENT specialist to rule out associated conditions.

Hope this answers your query.

Please get back if you need any further information.


Dr Kiran
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor