Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Having small lump in neck and reactive node. Guide?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
Hi my name I'd XXXXXXX .I was at my drs tonight as I have s small lump on my neck..she said it was a reactive node..I have had it nearly 2years and ad my FBC was normal nothing to worry she right. XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 57 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It should not be a problem if it is totally asymptomatic. Asymptomatic meaning, no pain, does not increase in size, no fevers, no wait loss and no pain. Normal complete blood count is however very comforting.

However, I would propose an in depth investigation of this node. A chest X XXXXXXX could be important. A needle biopsy of this lymph node is a very simple procedure and we would be very sure, to a very high extent that this node is not harmful.

I honestly think you should not be very worried. But consider doing a needle biopsy, which is very cheap, non painful and gives great information with respect to the nature of the lymph node for us to be sure.

Thanks and hope this helps. Feel very free to ask further questions if need be. I suggest you consult your internist again for a keener and broader valuation.

Best regards,
Bain LE, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having small lump in neck and reactive node. Guide? 7 hours later
I had chest xray last October which was fine also mammogram which was also fine.just waiting o. ENT appointment to come I will ask him about it..she also said it could just be a fatty lump...thanks. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 53 minutes later

It s great you did these exams already and they were fine. The tendency for the lump to be malignant is however low.

But I still still its worth investigating to be pretty sure. great you are meeting you ENT specialist soon. If its a fatty lump (lipoma), then no real need to bother. But considering a fine needle biopsy at some point is to clear off most of the doubt at this stage. This is so since its less invasive and yields pretty dependable results.

Your ENT specialist will certainly offer some inside. Feel free asking any further queries or sharing your follow up plan. Will be honored contributing in my little way to your well being. Be good and best regards,

Bain LE, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having small lump in neck and reactive node. Guide? 47 minutes later
I also hav e rhinitis and dry eyes and a bad postnasal drip which is worse in morning feels like a lump of phlegm in my throat.have had a couple of sinus infections over the last 6 months..also earfullness
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 9 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

A proper diagnosis is required. A rhinosinusitis should be the probable diagnosis. A past history of allergies is needed to be sought, for this could help orient the treatment. It s not unusual to observe ear troubles with sinus infections. This is so because the ears, throat, nasal fossae and sinuses are all interconnected, and an infection in one of these areas could easily spread to the next.

Specific X rays (Hirtz and Blondeau are needed to explore the sinuses), a past history of allergy and a proper clinical evaluation are key areas that shall certainly offer your ENT specialist to treat. Anti biotics, analgesics, at times steroids and Anti histamic drugs could be helpful. Pus filled sinuses might deserve surgical management. A clinical exam to exclude deviation of the nasal septum, nasal polyps and a carvum tumor should be systematically excluded.These suggestions could be necessary as you XXXXXXX your ENT specialist.

Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health.

Bain LE, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor