Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Having small bump on back. Seems like a bug bite. What can this be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 695 Questions
Felt a small bump on my a bug bite. When I looked at it it looks like a small volcano shape with raised sides and a center with a hole. The hole is a different color. What is this?
I was in the woods a lot the last 3 days and so a bug bite seemed logical to me but it doesn't look like anything I have ever seen. Please help.
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 59 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Small bump on back with a hole most probably points towards to skin cyst.

It occurs due to blockage in oil secreting glands in our body and there is collection of cheesy material around a sac-forming cyst. Such glands are present over back in large numbers.

A cyst could occur secondary to infections or as a foreign body reaction.

Sometimes stings of insects may remain in our body and a cyst may form around it.

Other possibility is acne cyst, but it is somewhat unusual in your age. Uploading photograph of your lesion will help in a much better way. You have a feature to upload the image by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may want to utilize it.

Application of hot fomentation for 8 to 10 days will help in resolution of cyst material and its drainage.

You also need to take oral anti-inflammatory drugs and oral antibiotics. You may need a prescription for it.

Sometimes they do not respond to medical line of treatment and they have to be removed surgically.

I hope this can solve your query. In case of concerns, I will be happy to help you. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having small bump on back. Seems like a bug bite. What can this be? 21 hours later
I had my husband try to get whatever was in the middle of this lesion out. He tried to squeeze it and then used tweezers on it. Not much resulted from that actually. I decided to take some pictures of it to send along to you. Please keep in mind these pictures were taken after we tried to "help" it.

Could you let me know what you think after you look at these pictures. Do I need to go to a local dermatologist? My family doctor? Or is this something that will go away on its own if I leave it alone.

Here is a picture of the lesion I was trying to describe.
this picture was taken after I squeezed it quite a bit to see if it would help. It didn't.
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 4 hours later

Thanks for follow up.

The lesion shows an inflamed border with a central hole. It most likely is secondary to insect bite reaction.

You can wait and watch for 3 to 4 days. Apply warm compresses over it. Antiinflammatory pain killers like motrin can be helpful. Do not try to manipulate it again.

If swelling and redness do not resolve, then it will be better to consult dermatologist.

In any case do not try to squeeze the lesion and remove anything from hole.This can lead to more redness and swelling.

I hope this can solve your query. If you still have any concerns feel free to ask.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor