Having slight itching and peeling in groins and scrotum. What could be causing this?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a slight itch in the crease of thighs and a grey line of skin peeling or breaking apart on my scrotum and slight base of penis. Almos Looks like a scar when it peels, but no real change of color just a slight new skin feel. It's like chafing but I never heard of skin peeling of scrotum. It does not look like dead skin. More like a skin that kind of bubled up and split not popped. No discharge, doesn't hurt, not red. No pimple or red dots either
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later

The itch and peeling in groins and scrotum could be due to-
1) Ring worm or tinea cruris
2) Intertrigo
3) Seborrheic dermatitis( dry itchy lesions in groins, scalp, eyelids, nasolabial folds, chest etc)

To treat the same, the below mentioned suggestions would help
1) Wear loose fitting cotton underclothes
2) Do not wear tight thick friction provoking clothes till the lesions resolve( denims etc)
3) Always wear clothes after drying the area completely
4) Use a steroid antifungal cream over involved area and once lesions resolve use antifungal dusting powder.
5) If there is too much itch, you may take oral antiallergic like cetirizine.
6) A course of oral antifungal might be required if lesions do not show much response.

It would be in your interest to visit a dermatologist as the above mentioned are prescription drugs and it is better to take such medicines under a doctor's follow up.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be further query, I would be happy to assist you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 13 minutes later
I know without pictures or swabs u cant really tell me for sure. but Does this sound like any kind of std that could have been dormit for awhile. I've been scouring the Internet for two days freaking out. But it doesn't seem to match any symptoms but just kinda want to know if I should be looking out for this to be something more. But I wrote it out pretty clearly in my 1st question and there are no other symptoms. Can I pass or infect my wife with some kinda fungus that I have?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 6 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Be assured, it in all probability is not a sexually transmitted disease. Doubts of STD should usually creep in cases where the relationship is not monogamous.

Fungal infection of groin can spread to partner through direct spread. Fungal infection in groin area usually takes one to two weeks to get cured and abstinence can be practiced till then.

Hope that answers your query. Take care.