Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Having skin discoloration on scrotum. Is it jock itch due to fungal infection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12603 Questions
can you have jock itch (fungal infection\0 on just one area of your scrotum? I have an area on my srotum (just on one side) about 1-1 1/2 inch in circumfrance that is red inflamed at times and when that happens it burns and itches and can sting when soap gets on it; also there is discoloration (brownish patches ) of the skin on the upper inside of my groin (both legs) and adjacent upper inner area of thighs, I have had this condition for 30 years (would come and go) but in last few years I noticed the skin discoloration and the area is now flaring up more frequently, for the longest time this condition did not appear to spread further on my scrotum, but over past 1 year it looks like it may have spread out somewhat; and I'd say the same for the discoloration patches on my groin/upper thigh area (for as long as I can recall I did not notice any discoloration patches; I only noticed the patches of skin discoloration in the last couple years.

Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
From the information you submitted I suspect that you are dealing with a fungal infection or dermatitis. Along with the fungal infection there can sometimes be some inflammation which causes redness, itching and peeling of the skin.

The generally best way to treat this is with a topical cream which has both a mild steroid element and an antifungal cream. The active ingredients of this cream includes hydrocortisone and the antifungal clotrimazole. Your doctor will be able to provide you with a prescription for this. The brand name of the cream is Lotrisone.
Sometimes oral antifungal agents are also needed to take care of the infection in recurrent cases like you have.
Try to keep the area clean and dry and avoid touching with bare fingers to avoid the recurrence of infection.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. RakhiTayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having skin discoloration on scrotum. Is it jock itch due to fungal infection? 6 days later
so you are confirming that I most likely have fungal infection on my scrotum? my reading indicates that fungal infection on scrotum is not likely so just want to confirm that this is what you think, also the patches of skin discoloration on my groin area/upper thighs there is no inflamation or painfull area's, redness or peeling whatsoever, just the discoloration of the skin. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
From your description it seems to be a fungal infection but allergic dermatitis also needs to be ruled out after a direct examination and skin scrapings culture. You can consult a dermatologist for the same as skin lesions are best diagnosed after a direct examination.
The patches on the upper thigh are likely to be skin discoloration due to chronic irritation in the area.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor