Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Having sinus infection, elevated WBC count and having low grade fever. Should I be worried about WBC count?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 193 Questions
i have been sick with a sinus infection and have constantly had elevated wbc counts, usually over 11,000. today my blood work came back and my wbc count was almost 17,000. last week, even with this infection, it was 12,500. im only running a low grade fever, 99.2 but am constantly exhausted and am a smoker trying to quit. my wbc has been elevated over 10,000 for over a year. is there reason to be concerned/
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Test result quality, Sinus X rays, ENT specialist Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, Raised white blood cells are for sure an indication of an infectious process. the very rapid changes in the values of the white blood cells raise some concern. It is very sure to ascertain the correctness and quality of the test results. It is better to carry out the test under similar conditions in a good laboratory. Considering that the results you present reflect the reality, it is worthwhile to reevaluate the state of the sinuses. It might be of interest to do special X rays to ascertain the integrity of the sinuses. Collection of pus in the sinus system could explain the persistence of raised white blood cells. In case pus is detected, surgical drainage could be the main answer to this situation, in order to avoid other chronic complications (meningitis, infection of the bones, etc). The pus collected could be sent to the laboratory for culture and antibiotic sensitivity tests. Getting a complete review by an ENT specialist is my opinion. Thanks and hope this helps. Please, feel free asking follow up questions in case you have any specific concerns. I shall be glad and honored to offer my humble contribution. Wishing you good health and kind regards. Dr Rogers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor