Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Having shoulder problem. Getting knee pain. Playing badminton. Do i have to take pain killers. Ligament tear?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 394 Questions

For the past few years Im playing badminton for 2 hours a day in 2-3 days a week. Initially I had shoulder problems which I overcame by regular exercising. Of late., Im getting pain in my right knees. The pain gets aggravated after I play. The problem is if I bend my knees for sometime., then while I stretch it back., its terribly paining. So., nowadays., for most of the time Im keeping my legs straight only...even while sitting in the office chair..If Im not playing for few days., the pain subsides a little however it doesnt vanish. For about a month I have stopped playing. But still., my right knee have the issue. Im not sure if this is due to any ligament stretch or tear or nerve problem or blood circulation problem... Obviously I want to continue playing badminton. So., stopping that is not a solution.

I would like to know if this can be fully cured by non-surgical treatment or would it need any surgery ? Do I have to take any supplements / pain killers / steroids ? I want to fully overcome this problem and be physically active and continue to play badminton...

Pls. advise.

Thanks & Regards
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 28 minutes later
Hello XXXXX,
Welcome at XXXXXXX

I have read your query with diligence.

It looks that you are having pain at knee which increases on bending.You are active in games which is a good habit.

Such type of knee pain can occur due to either problem with cartilage of knee or injury to menisci.You should know that menisci are soft structure over the articular surface of leg bone which acts as a cushion for knee.

Due to affection of menisci you may feel catch during bending of your knee which may be associated with pain.

At present you should avoid excessive standing & walking .Also avoid cross leg position.Doing quadriceps strengthening exercises may help you-

You should do following so that you can relive your problem-

-Consult to your orthopedic doctor & ask for MRI investigation of your affected knee.

-In case of mild rupture you can have relief only by exercises while in case of large or complex rupture you may need key hole surgery.

-You may take a mild analgesic like advil for relief.

Hope this all will help you.

With best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having shoulder problem. Getting knee pain. Playing badminton. Do i have to take pain killers. Ligament tear? 2 days later
Thank you Dr. for the response.

I understand from your response that exercise focusing on the knee is the key. If that doesnt solve for good., then surgery is the only way...

So., first I will continue my exercise regime and monitor if it helps and improves...

Pls. clarify if I can continue to keep my legs straight even when in sitting postures...because thats when the pain is not there...If I fold / bend., then it would pain when I revert back to straight position...

Also., what abt any medicine / steroids ? Is it advisable to take any for my problem ??
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 24 minutes later
Hello XXXXX,
You should avoid knee bending posture .I am not saying that you should do it at all because it is not possible.Keeping knee in straight position is advisable.

For this condition ,you may have following medicines-

-You may have a good analgesic like aleeve.I used to prescribe tramadol with such severe pain.

-Take joint supplements like glucosamine with chondroitin sulfate.This will help you if there is early cartilage problem.

-Do warm fomentation with help of a red rubber water bag,which is available OTC in market.

The aforementioned medications can be taken under guidance of an orthopaedic surgeon.

Hope this all will help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having shoulder problem. Getting knee pain. Playing badminton. Do i have to take pain killers. Ligament tear? 35 hours later
Thanks Dr for the response.

As for glucosamine with chondroitin sulfate, what should be the 50mcg or 100 mcg and what should be the frequency ? Is it daily once to twice ? And before or after food ?. Pls advise..

As for 'fomentation', pls clarify what it is...I'm clueless about that...

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 9 hours later
Hello XXXXX,
The glucosamine should be used in doses of 750 mg twice a day & chondroitin sulfate should be used in 200-400 mg twice a day dose.These should be taken after food.

Fomentation is like applying warm saline pack over the knee for 3-5 minutes at least thrice a day.

Hope this will help you.

With best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor