Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Having sharp throat and chest pain, feeling dizzy and lightheaded. Medical test showed panic attack

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9349 Questions
I'm having super sharp pain in my throat / chest area. Like when something feels like it gets stuck in your throat, but lower and more in the chest also. It happened 2 days ago also. often I have chest pains on the left that sometimes goes into my shoulder. several months ago I was taken to the emergency room because I had chest pains,was short of breath, started getting dizzy and light headed, and was shaky and cold. They did a bunch of tests and said I had a panic attack and it wasn't a heart problem, everything was fine. I'm not a very panicky or anxious person. what else could this all be from. Sometimes when I cough I feel flush and tingly, and pretty much am always clearing my throat or coughing from drainage. I'm 34 have smoked since I was 10 but have all but quit for awhile. when I was younger I got shot and so there is lung and heart, along with other organ scar tissue. I'm sorry if I wrote too much. I can't afford to go to the doctor and wouldn't know where to start with what if I did. Thank you very much for your time.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 17 minutes later
Well, first thing to rule out is heart disease,it goes with these symptoms and if your ECG, echo and lab tests were fine then other cause must be considered. First of these is esophageal disorder which can be evaluated by gastroscopy. Smoking,stress, bad food and alcohol can cause variety of such disorders, GERD, gastritis, Barrets esophagus, hiatal hernia. Panic attack can cause similar symptoms, but it sounds more serious to me.
The third thing is respiratory disorder. Most often are emphysema and COPD.
I didnt get this about shot? what was it exactly?
If your problems persist I definitely recommend to visit doctor because you are to young for such symptoms and it must be evaluated.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor