Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Having sharp pain under rib cage, now soft lump appeared. How to cure this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3622 Questions
I Have a sharp shooting pain under my left side rib cage x 4 weeks intermittantly. I just noticed that in that same area there is a soft oblong lump the size of an almond.
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Thanks for your query.

If the pain is deep inside under the rib cage then an Ultrasound scan of the abdomen would be a gold standard diagnostic tool to identify the cause.

If the pain is in the lump you mention then a FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) has to be done. In this test a small amount of material is extracted from the lump using a needle and examined under microscope. This helps in identifying the type of swelling it is to plan a specific management.

Meanwhile do use medications like a combination of mefenamic acid and dicyclomine hydrochloride which are anti inflammatory and antispasmodic respectively.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor