Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

169 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Having sharp pain in shoulder. What should I do?

Answered by
Dr. Pratap VGM


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 869 Questions

Posted on Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi - An hour or two ago, I asked a question about GERD, and had a reply from Dr XXXXXXX Gibson. I then pressed the button accepting this answer. I have since realised that this didn't really answer my question, which was: the pain certainly seemed due to trapped air, but it was sharply localised near the right shoulder (a few inches in from the shoulder). Surely the lungs don't extend to that area?
Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Referred pain Detailed Answer: Dear sir Welcome to healthcare magic Usually it is referred pain, it means the nerve which supplies the lungs when stimulated or pains, the pain is referred to nerve suplied to shoulder. So if any patient having chest infections, pneumonia, pneumothorax the pain will be referred to right shoulder tip. It explains the pathology. Please review witj chest x ray or ct scan chest. Hope this information is helpful
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Pneumothorax

doctor1 MD

Hi I am a 34year old female, never sick really, PMH of Pneumothorax, appendectomy, Irregular heartbeat, I take cardicor 1.25mg - short pr interval with PAC s + PVC s, High biliruben I notice in my urine sometimes but mostly my eyes are yellow, Anyway my concern is regarding my legs my upper legs get so restless and heavy I fell like its an effort to drag them sometimes expecially after exercise and I have a constant ache/pain in my elbows? Any Ideas?

doctor1 MD

I had a pneumothorax after a lung needle biopsy. I decided not to have the chest tube but go home from hospital to rest to heal on its own. The day after the pneumothorax I have heart palpitation, it is worse after eating. The only time I don t feel it is when I am sleeping or resting. The last check with my lung doctor after x-ray, I was told my lung is fully expanded, and the lung sounded ok. However, my heat palpitation is really bothering me. Was it caused by the pneumothorax, and will it ever get better?

doctor1 MD

in september i had pneumothorax it happened while i was sleeping in bed never thought it was serious a few days later i went hospital cause pain would not in away and thought it was my heart cause it was on the left side and it turned out my lung had collapsed and had a chest drain and kept in the next day it was taken out and i was sent home went back 4 weeks later and had a x ray and my lung was up and fine but told if ever get them pains again to come straight back so not last thursday the thursday before i had the same pains i had when my lung first collapsed but not as painfull so went back to a&e and had an x ray and was told everything was fine and my lung was still up even though i still did not feel right the doctor said i was fine so went home and told to take pain killers so i did then saturday just gone got a urgent letter from hospital to attend a&e asap for another x ray so i did and was told that my lung had collapsed again a week earlier and the doctor on duty never seen it so had another x ray and it was still collapsed but not as much as it was a week earlier but was still down so as you can guess i was not happy but they said that it will come up on its own and have been given codine and other pain killers and sent home again cause they said there is nothing they can do and come back in a week i am not happy and still foot feel well at all like i have the flu coming on and still hurts when take deep breaths and can not lie on my side but dont know how bad the pain really is cause had that many pain killers i just want to know if you think its best i go to another hospital for a second opinion i just dont know what to do ?

doctor1 MD

Hi.. I had a surgery for my pneumothorax last year.

I have an apartment in the mountain around 800-1000m high above the sea level and i am planning to move there, i want to know if it is risky for me to live there to get another pneumothorax.

Thanks in advance

doctor1 MD

I’ve had a month of upper left rib pain , right near the left breast area. Had ultra sound chest X-ray, both normal, but spleen a bit enlarged 13.2. GP thinks muscular skeletal. I still have pain, not as intense as before. He doesn’t think ct is...

doctor1 MD

Early in August 2017, I had a pacemaker implanted at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute because I had some blockage of the electrical signal and, therefore, I had episodes of very slow heart rates. The report on my first evaluation of the...

doctor1 MD

I fell off a ladder pretty high up and I went to the ER and when I got home I went to my family DR. but now I can put in a hard days work cause I cough and I can hardly talk no more than a whisper and I feel like I am not going to make it please...