Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Having sharp pain in hip and leg. Gets worse after sitting. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 170 Questions
I have had some hip pain for the last few months. Suddenly, in the last 3 days, my leg will give way, accompanied by a sharp pain. If I walk with the toes of that leg out (duck footed) the weakness lessens/disappears. It is worst after I have been sitting and tends to improve/disappear if I walk for a few minutes.
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

You have quite a history of orthopaedic conditions and the current condition seems like an aftermath. There's a fair chance that your hip joint has undergone degenerative changes, details of which I presume you already know since you have undergone a due to a spine which has led to gradual weakness and on path towards complete loss of sensations and muscle power.

The other symptoms like improvement on brisk walk/posture also suggest a neurological pathology. You need to be physically examined for the same to narrow down the diagnosis. It shall also need supporting evidence of investigations like x ray/ MRI for confirmation.

Meanwhile avoid activities that aggravate the pain, avoid sitting in one position for long time and take frequent stretch breaks. Have a healthy life style inclusive of proper diet and moderate exercises, especially back strengthening exercises. Use of anti-inflammatory medicines are recommended as and when required.

Hope this answer was informative. For any further queries I'm available for follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having sharp pain in hip and leg. Gets worse after sitting. What treatment should be done? 4 hours later
Your reply makes sense. I know I have some joint degeneration in L hip, but not so much that it would account for the sudden weakness and enervation. Your reply indicates to me that you think I may have some stenosis in the part of my spine inner acting the hip and thigh muscles. Is that right? Should I see a neurologist or an orthopedist?

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 14 minutes later
Good to have you back.

In my opinion it has more chances of being neural than hip degeneration. But nevertheless visit your orthopaedist so he can examine both.

Please feel free to ask more queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor