Owl Image

Having sharp pain in head and getting cramps in feet. Is this a sign of sinus?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
hi, my wife has continuous headaches on eyebrow and one side of the head, sometimes the pain switch to the other side... few days ago, she went blank and fell off and was having severe pain on her head, like a sharp pin poking in... her hands and feet were also getting cramps during that time... is this a sinus? My wife has eye sight and she never wore glasses, i just bought a pair of glasses for her after going through her eye check up... would the pain go away with this or this is something more severe?
Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Continuous headache on eyebrow and one side of the head can be due to migraine or sinus headache if she is having any cold or sinus congestion.
Migraine may present with headache for more than seventy-two hours and is often associated with vomiting, dizziness and visual problems.
She can try these lifestyle modifications:
1) Go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day.
2) Exercise regularly (daily if possible) and limit stress through regular exercise and relaxation techniques.
3) Avoid bright or flashing lights and wear sunglasses if sunlight is a trigger
4) Identify and avoid foods that trigger headaches by keeping a headache and food diary and limit caffeine consumption to less than two caffeine-containing beverages a day.
5) She can also try over the counter pain killers like aspirin or acetaminophen. If still the symptoms persist, then please consult a physician for specific anti-migraine therapy (triptans and ergot preparations).
She can also start with steam inhalation thrice daily to relieve any sinus congestion.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.